Friday 13 January 2017

Flowers in the Dead of Winter

 
Watching blossoms unfold is always a wonder, but never more than when the temperature's hovering around -30°C, which is where we're at right now. Oh, I should add, with the windchill, that means it feels like -40°C. Yes, extremely cold! But, I still wouldn't want to live where there is no snow - my winter has to have cold, blizzards and lots of snow.

Anyway, we started this Amaryllis before Christmas; the children excitedly rushed into my classroom each day to see how much our plant had grown. The first flower brought squeals of joy just before Christmas. I came to school almost every day over the break to check on it. There was pure awe on theie faces when they saw all eight flowers open after the break.  I'm not sure I ever saw an Amaryllis that had all eight flowers open at the same time, so I was in awe as well. 

Flowers always make people better, happier, and more helpful: 
they are sunshine, food and medicine to the soul. -Luther Burbank

Did you get an Amaryllis this year? They're a beautiful Christmas plants, and come in a variety of colours. I had luck with getting my orchid to bloom again, so am excited about trying to get our Amaryllis to bloom again next year as well. Thankfully, I found a website with tips to do that. In case you want to try that too, click here.  I'd love to hear from anybody who has ever got an Amaryllis to bloom again. 

my orchid



2 comments:

  1. Minus 20 in Fahrenheit. Wow. I wouldn't know how to act. I'm sure you get used to it somewhat. And yes, I can imagine how welcome any new blossom is in your climate. My daughter was excited when she got her orchid to bloom again too, but we have no experience on the amaryllis. Feeling a little under the weather, I could use a fresh blossom today! Blessings, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Melodie, I guess, living in Manitoba we are used to severe cold, and when it's part of life you just take it as it comes-dress warm when going out and enjoy the coziness of staying home when you're snowed in.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for sharing your thoughts!!