Thursday 27 January 2022

Library Blunder

 I was going through my writing files on my computer and stumbled upon a story I haven’t thought about in a long time. I haven’t posted anything in too long, so why not something amusing?

I’m part of a writers group, even though, since I moved away, I’m no longer able to meet with them once a month. These days, due to COVID we share and critique each other’s pieces via email. That works well, too, and I am able to take part. In any case, we sometimes do fun writing exercises. One day one of the members brought a list of titles; we were to choose one and write a story for it. I chose ‘When Pigs Fly’ and penned the following true story for it, which still makes me smile –even more so today than when it happened.

When Pigs Fly

I wanted to run as fast as my legs could carry me, away, far, far away from this embarrassing moment. As I’d done a hundred times before, I stood in line at the library waiting for someone to help me. Finally the friendly librarian greeted me with, “How may I help you?” I told her I’m here to pick up a book I had on reserve.

“What’s the title?” she asked.

I’m not sure what was going on in my brain while I waited. Perhaps I was thinking of feeding pigs, wondering if I could find joy with such a stinky job. Some people seem to like it. No, I couldn’t be happy with work that comes with a nose-burning stench. Or maybe I was thinking about some real live pig man. In any case, my answer to the librarian’s question was: “The Pigman.”

The Pigman?” the librarian asked with a funny look. By now my blunder had caused my eyes to go wide, my cheeks suddenly had too much rouge and I wanted to melt into the floor. This was not the book I had on reserve, I’ve never even thought about reading it and don't really know what it's about. I have no idea how that title even came to mind, or how I couldn’t stop it before saying it out loud. I laughed, as much to hide my embarrassment as how hilarious it was. I mumbled the title that couldn’t beat The Pigman out of my mouth before, and sheepishly tucked my book under my arm and left.

In hind sight, I wonder why I was so embarrassed. It wouldn’t be so strange for me to sign out that book. It’s a grade seven novel after all, and I did work at a school at the time. I’m pretty sure, though, I wasn’t daydreaming about some handsome pig man. Or was I?

 

Today, quite a few years later, I’m married to someone who used to manage a pig operation. 

Sometimes pigs fly. 

2 comments:

  1. Linda I loved your story, and I could well imagine your embarrassment. How ironical that you later married a man who had managed a pig farm - no doubt the pair of you have had a few laughs over this incident.
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Maxine, we've chuckled about that, for sure. Funny how things sometimes turn out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for sharing your thoughts!!