Friday 10 August 2018

Cherries, Berries and Blooms

Nanking Cherries
Summer is getting away from me and I haven't blogged as much as I would have liked. I was hoping to have more time to dedicate to my blog, but it hasn't worked out that way. Summers are busy around here, and blogging has to wait.

Blackberries
The start of my summer holidays were a berry, cherry delight. We have our own raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, saskatoons, black currants, Evans and Nanking cherries. I'm sure you get the picture: there's a whole lot of picking to do. But it's wonderful to have so much fresh home-grown fruit to enjoy. We had plenty to eat fresh, freeze, make jam, juice and desserts with. So much to be thankful for!

Right now we're feasting on apples from our own orchard. We've put some in the freezer for pie and also to put through a press for juice later. Yesterday we made apple pie. These must be the perfect variety for pie - it's so delicious, especially with a touch of cinnamon, and served with vanilla ice-cream. This reminds me of a little rhyme: The doctor said, "Diet." And I really truly try. I always drink my coffee black, when there's ice-cream on my pie. 
I'm glad that wasn't my doctor; I never drink my coffee black. If I'd have to, that would be the day I give up coffee as well. 


Every spring, I look forward to feeling the soil on my hands while planting flowers Of course I also enjoy tending them all summer. I'm always rewarded with an abundance of showy flowers and sweet scents. One of my favourite flowers are dahlias and this year I planted a few different kinds, including a brand new variety (middle picture in bottom row). Its sort of burgundy coloured leaves serve as a nice contrast for the bright yellow flowers. I don't know the names of any of my dahlias off the top of my head, and I don't feel like researching to find out at the moment. I do have lovely pictures, though. Those I will gladly share. They're all putting on a splendid summer show, and have for weeks now. Some dahlia blooms like to hide in the foliage, so it's a bit tricky to get nice pictures.

 


I usually dig out the tubers after the first frost, so I can replant them next spring. Last  year though, I didn't have any luck with that. I think the place I stored them wasn't cool enough, or else I didn't let them dry off enough. They were rotten before the first snow arrived. If you have any advice for me about that, I'd love to hear from you.

I also had the opportunity to travel to Banff, Alberta this summer... But more on that trip in another post later on.

Any traveling, gardening or berry picking in your summer? Or perhaps it's something entirely different. Someone once said, Every summer has its own story. I (and maybe also my readers) would love to hear a tidbit about yours.

4 comments:

  1. I love your beautiful flowers! Since I live in AZ we don't have many flowers or fruit in the middle of the summer. The highlight of our summer was visiting family and friends in PA / OH for a couple weeks. It was great to re-connect and go through memories and make new ones.
    Thank-you for writing. Mary H

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your writing. I've not had the best summer due to illness, but reading and looking at your pictures of your fruits and flowers gives me joy. They look so beautiful. Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the other commenters; lovely pics! I'm so glad to hear you've had a "fruitful" summer full of delicious pickings and bright colors. :) Our landlord allowed my husband to plant a garden, and it's been so fun to have fresh veggies from it, like Yukon Gold potatoes, sweet peppers, cucumbers, beets, spinach, and lettuce. I'm really hoping the cantaloupes will do well too! And we planted some flowers this spring, as well; some did great, and others not so much. We live and learn, I guess. :) Right now, the gladiolus are starting to bloom. So pretty! The cosmos have done pretty well, and the morning glories are slowly climbing up the fence and sending out purple blooms.

    Hope you continue to have a great summer, friend!

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
  4. What lovely pictures and the cherries look so good!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for sharing your thoughts!!