Friday 10 June 2011

Share a Laugh – It’s Good for the Heart

Do you have favourite childhood books? One of mine is Hello, Mr. Twiddle by Enid Blyton, a collection of funny stories about Mr. Twiddle, who always manages to muddle things up. This book was a gift from my grandpa Maendel. Unfortunately, I lost it somewhere in my growing up years – too many younger siblings, I surmise.
            Recently my fortunes turned and I was able to buy a copy book through an online bookseller. I had forgotten some of the stories, but as I was reading, memories of them were resurrected and afforded me as many laughs as they had when I was a little girl. I couldn’t wait to show my students!
            I first shared it with Joshua, who enjoys stories, especially funny ones, more than anyone I know and is always able to make interesting connections. “This book is hilarious!” Joshua told me with his infectious laugh, after he read it. “I found another book.” He continued, showing me, A Pocketful of Laughs compiled by Joanna Cole and Stephanie Calmensen. “There’s a story in it called ‘The First Shlemiel’. Shlemiel means simple-minded in Jewish.”
            “How do you know the definition of this word?” I wanted to know.
            “Well, the family in the story is Jewish, because they celebrate Hanukkah.” Joshua informed me. “Mr. Twiddle is a Shlemiel, too. And so is Amelia Bedelia.”
            A merry heart does good like a medicine, but a broken spirit dries the bones.’ Proverbs 17:22
            In her ‘A Merry Heart is Medicine’ article, Donna L. Watkins, a fellow blogger wrote: “Solomon had wisdom in that statement from Proverbs 17:22. The human body, which God designed, can produce its own disease fighting chemicals. God has created us "fearfully and wonderfully." These bodies that we walk around in are truly amazing! Evolution is just not smart enough to equip us with the mind-boggling intelligence that our bodies contain!”

          How about you? Any childhood or adult book-friends you’d like to share?

4 comments:

  1. I adored Amelia Bedelia! My very first books were The Sunbonnet Babies (with Molly & Mae)...I'll have to check out your suggestions:) Our eldest adores the Magic TreeHouse series & our youngest ones love Dr. Seuss, Eric Carl & anything by Todd Parr..very funny guy:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Amelia is a fovourite here, for sure. Don't know the Sun Bonnet Babies nor Todd Parr, but all the others our children enjoy too

    ReplyDelete
  3. This photo is stunning! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for sharing your thoughts!!