Sunday 8 November 2015

Looking for a Christmas Gift with Hutterite Flavour?

It's a gorgeous day here in Manitoba; by this time we usually have snow. But today we have clear skies, bright sunshine and the temperature sitting at a lovely 12 ̊ C. And I'm thinking Christmas...


...all because, someone reminded me that Hutterite Diaries would make a unique Christmas gift. Needless to say, I agreed.  So, I'm not waiting for temperatures to drop and snow to fly to write this post. If you're wondering why this gift would be unique, here's the reason: there are not that many books around that were written by Hutterites.

On that note, if you happen to have someone on your list who'd appreciate a gift with Hutterite flavour, why not Hutterite Diaries? Perhaps you have a Hutterite friend who you'd like to surprise with this book -- I know there are many who've never heard about it, and would most likely be thrilled for a chance to read it. If you choose to use this as a gift idea this Christmas, then there's another reason it's a good idea to post this now -- you'll need time to order it from places like Amazon and Menno Media, if that' show you prefer to shop. Hutterite Diaries is on sale (30% off) right now at Herald Press.

But I'm sure there are many stores across Canada and in the US where you could get Hutterite Diaries. If your favourite bookstore doesn't have it, just ask, they may wish to order it. Most of the time they're happy to hear about new books. (Bookstores get a 40% discount when they order five or more copies from Menno Media.). Just a few days ago I heard about a bookstore in Saskatchewan, Canada who will be carrying the book soon. It's located at the Hodgeville Hutterite Colony. Other places in Manitoba and Saskatchewan that stock my book are:

  • James Valley Book Centre, Elie, MB 
Some of you may be close enough, so you could come and pick up a signed copy at my home.

Feel free to share this post.



Here's a taste from the Hutterite Diaries Christmas chapter: 
We started Christmas concert practice in late November, and everybody was working diligently to learn their pieces. One grade-three boy in particular needed extra help with one word. In our German recitation of “The Four Candles,” Jonathan had a line from Romans 15:13 (KJV): Gott aber der Hoffnung erfülle euch mit aller Freude und Frieden im Glauben (Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing).
Jonathan struggled with articulation on a daily basis, and he simply could not remember the word Freude (“joy”). Instead, he always said Freunde (“friends”), which is understandable since the words are so similar. While God does indeed give us Freunde, we told him, in this verse it just wouldn’t make sense. Jonathan had no problem saying this particular word—Freude—in isolation. But when he said his line, he simply could never get it right. 

Teachers, parents, siblings, and fellow students tried to help him, but alas, nothing worked. On our last day of practice, I resigned myself to the fact that he would never get it. I just hoped the audience would be able to figure out the meaning of what he was saying.
On the night of our program, Jonathan was looking sharp, dressed in his Sunday best: pale green shirt and black pants. Standing on stage with the other students, he was beaming, as if he had not a care in the world. I was sitting in the front row of the audience in case the students needed prompts. I kept telling myself not to worry about Jonathan’s almost certain mix-up. His was the last line of the piece, and everybody else had done their parts well.
While I was still wondering whether it would help him if I mouthed the word, Jonathan eagerly started his verse. All of us who had worked with him held our breaths . . . and then sighed with relief when he said the word perfectly. His bright smile said it all; he was happier about this accomplishment than any of us!
Later, when we were reflecting on our Christmas program, Freude took on a whole new meaning for Jonathan and for all of us. I was reminded of God’s promise in Matthew 7:7: “Ask, and it will be given to you.” Jonathan was telling us how happy he was that he was finally able to say his piece flawlessly. When asked how he did it, he simply replied, “I asked God to whisper it in my ear, and he did.”
 








4 comments:

  1. What a lovely post, Linda, and definitely time to be thinking ahead for unique Christmas gifts such as your book!
    Thanks for inspiring us :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Faith, Hope and Cherrytea. When I think of my book launch at McNally Robinson, I also have fond memories of meeting you after years of only 'knowing each other' through our blogs. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I asked God to whisper it in my ear." Would that all of us had Jonathan's faith and knew his joy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, wouldn't that be something, Shirley. Sounds so simple.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for sharing your thoughts!!