Sunday 30 November 2014

Heute ist der erste Advent


Our little advent wreath is ready and waiting. My dream still is, one day to have a wreath with real evergreen branches, but this year, it didn't happen. One day... So this one will have to do. I first started observing Advent with my K-2 class year last, and everybody enjoyed it, never mind that our wobbly wreath practically fell apart before the third week. This year I decided, because I didn't have a wreath, I wouldn't mention Advent, in the hopes the children wouldn't remember our little advent morning ritual from last year either. It didn't work out that way. For whatever reason, I brought up a German poem we did last year. As soon as I did I realized my mistake...or maybe it wasn't a mistake at all.

Anyway, the poem was about four Advent candles. Yes, my students wanted to know if we'll have an Advent wreath this year. With their faces aglow with hope and excitement, how could I say no? But that didn't solve my wreath problem. I knew I wasn't going to be home on Saturday, when I would have time to maybe make one, hopefully with my sister, Sonia's help. Both of us, along with a group of nine had signed up to volunteer at Siloam Mission for a few hours. We had a lovely time sorting clothes and bedding...I almost forgot about the wreath that I still didn't have.

Since we were in the city anyway, we decided to do a bit of shopping. We started out a Value Village - they actually have some very nice Christmas stuff, but I didn't find what I was looking for in the first one. Good thing we went to another one, where I found the one you see in the picture above. Small, but cute and it will make my students very happy. I can't wait to see their faces tomorrow morning.

Now I'll have to go look for some Advent songs, preferably German ones. If you have any, please do let me know. I like to have a number of them, because, beside our morning song, we sing an advent one as well everyday.


From Advent 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for sharing your thoughts!!