Monday 3 March 2014

Snapshot Muse # 9 - I Come to the Garden Alone



Meet my beautiful Bougainvillea, by far the loveliest flower in our yard last summer! (Yes, as much as I love winter, I'm longing to see flowers.) This plant blessed us with blooms all summer long and well into fall, when I took it inside, before the first frost could hurt it. It continued to bloom for a few weeks, then stopped, which seemed natural to me. For another month it stayed nice and green, but then lost all its leaves - this worried me somewhat and I wondered if I should have cut it back right after it stopped blooming. Too late to lament that fact. After it lost all its leaves I finally cut it back till only four inches of the branches were left and watered it about once a week to keep the roots moist.

I longingly watch it for some sign of life, which is still not evident. I keep telling myself, once our brutally cold days leave us for milder temperatures, things will change, and that I really didn't kill it somehow. Only time will tell, I suppose.

I love it, when a certain song comes to mind, as I start working on my Snapshot Muse post, which doesn't always happen. This time though it did. I Come to the Garden Alone is that song and I found a beautiful version sung by Anne Murray. I'm always fascinated with the stories behind the songs. This one was written by C. Austin Miles in 1912. To read what inspired him to write this beautiful song, click here.





2 comments:

  1. We love our bougainvillea down here! And that hymn is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for sharing your thoughts!!