Thursday 4 October 2012

Recycling - From Clothes to Cushy Fortrell Floormats

 
This is another rug made from Fortrell. To make it, requires a strong fabric like denim for the back. You cut your desired colours into 1 or 2 inch squares. (I know, it's a tremendous amount of work, but with a rotary cutter, not so bad.) Each piece is folded into a triangle and sewn unto the backing, which has the pattern already marked on it. You can either sew these pieces on, going in a circular motion starting in the middle and working your way out. Or you can start at one side and work your way across. It all depends on your pattern.

These are my favourite rugs, because they are so cushy. Perfect for the type of cold weather we're having right now. They're used in bathrooms, kitchens and bedrooms. But they also make nice dog beds, especially since they wash so well.

2 comments:

  1. I have been very much impressed by the beautiful rugs the Hutterites make, especially with using this method.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great and I like how durable it sounds. I may make a rug sometime but I'd have to watch someone else do it. We're finally getting colder weather here in St. Louis - it's only 48 today, down from 83 yesterday. It changes so quickly this time of year. Have a good weekend ~

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for sharing your thoughts!!