Sunday 19 February 2012

German POW Research - Whitewater

When I first started sending out query emails regarding my POW research, I soon learned that there's this small network of writers/collectors/archaeologists... who've dedicated a lot of time to studying German POW in Canada history. I feel honoured that they took the time to answer my questions and share information and pictures with me. Not only that, they welcomed me into their circle: "There aren't very many of us dedicated types around trying to preserve the information and artifacts that relate," Robert Henderson (Homefront Artifacts and Museum) wrote. "So welcome to our small fraternity." I wonder if they have an induction ceremony. (-: Seriously though, with little to offer, much to gain, I'm grateful for these experts who are willing to share from their wealth of knowledge.

On that note, I came across this clip: (It doesn't have so much to do with my own research, however, I did find it interesting, as it does relate to POW in MB.)

'The Whitewater PoW Camp Archaeology Project is investigating the people and stories of a Second World War internment camp built in Riding Mountain National Park, Manitoba, Canada. Occupied from October 1943 to October 1945, the camp held 450 German Afrika Korps soldiers captured in Egypt after the Second Battle of El-Alamein. The research involves archival documents, oral history, and archaeological survey and excavation.' (CBC)

Adrian Myers, Stanford University was heading this dig. To learn more, visit his website:
http://whitewaterpowcamp.com/





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for sharing your thoughts!!