|Saint Basils Cathedral|
The Hutterites have hundred years of history in Russia, which started when Count Rumiantsev invited them to work on his land. Sixty people with all their belongings on five wagons moved from Hungary to Vishenka. Several trips back to Transylvania and Hungary persuaded the Walters, Maendels, Tschetters and Wollmans to join them.
After Count Rumiantsev’s death his sons weren’t so kind to the Hutterites, prompting the move to Radichev on the Desna River. Some inner strife caused them to abandon community of goods, which ultimately led to spiritual and economic decline, along with illiteracy. Ten years later, sixty- nine families moved to the Molatschna where Johannes Cornies, a Mennonite taught them farming and helped them establish schools. Here is where they restored community of goods after Michael Waldner, a blacksmith was urged in a dream to do so.
Between 1874 and 1879 all Hutterites left Russia, because the government revoked exemption from military service and decreed that Russian be the language of instruction in all schools. They settled in the Dakotas. In 1918 moved to the Canadian prairies. Later, some moved back to the United States.
Today, Hutterites still enjoy some things they learned in Russia: they’re still heavily involved in agriculture and have their own schools Community of goods has never been abandoned since it was re-established in Russia. They have some Russian words in their vocabulary, and still serve delicious Russian food: These include Borscht, Knedl, Bobak, Wuchtich and pickled Gietsch (watermelom) and Kratzawitz (cucumbers).